Are you a data scientist and biomechanist who wants to lead us in building solutions that improves people’s lives? Come join an innovative New Zealand company that is part of Vicon, and the world’s largest supplier of precision motion capture and tracking systems.
Here at IMeasureU (IMU), we have developed inertial sensors and a software platform that precisely quantifies body movement and workload metrics of professional athletes, working closely with globally recognised professional teams. Having joined forces with Vicon, the world leader in precision motion capture, working at IMU means you’ll develop an intimate knowledge of inertial sensors, motion capture and tracking systems from our office in Kingsland, Auckland.
As our lead data scientist, you will contribute to our core technology, providing thought leadership around practises and techniques from research and prototyping, to the productization and deployment of algorithms and classifiers
- Build and manage the algorithms and validation team in Auckland
- Lead the design, research, implementation, and validation of our algorithms and deploy scalable, real-time mobile algorithms and high volume data pipelines for both post-processing
- Investigate and keep abreast of new research methodologies within the industry, and incorporate the best into our research pipeline
- Research and investigate different metrics, algorithms, techniques using signal processing and machine learning, as well as any other relevant tools
- Design, deploy and maintain cloud pipelines and local workloads
- Collaborate with design, dev and engineering teams both locally and remotely while contributing to all aspects of the software development lifecycle for our products.
- Working with research partners & universities to carry out research and validation studies
PhD or post graduate degree(s) in Biomechanics, Biomedical engineering, Mathematics, Statistics or a related quantitative field
This suits a person who is/has:
- An inquisitive mind with strong exploratory skills
- A highly motivated individual with the ability to lead work and shape work culture
- Strong interpersonal skills, organisational and time management skills
- The ability to communicate effectively with both verbally and written, including fluency in written and spoken English
Strong candidates have experience with and be able to:
- At least 3 years’ commercial experience in data science or a related field.
- Proven and demonstrable experience in scientific Python, MATLAB or R
- Machine learning techniques (clustering, decision tree learning, neural networks etc.)
- Time-series algorithms, predictive models, and signal processing using
- h conventional and deep learning techniques.
- SQL, database design, curation
- Cloud based data platforms such as AWS, Azure or GCP
- Understanding of DevOps and how it’s applied to data science
- Commitment to good coding practices
Bonus points for knowledge in:
- Use of Inertial Measurement Units or Optical Motion Capture
- Use of EMG, force plates, and GPS
- Use of OpenSim or other biomechanical modelling, simulation and analysis tools.
- Experience visualizing and presenting data in unique ways (Tableau, D3 etc)
- Distributed data/ computing tools – Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Hive
- Rest API’s & Serverless computing
- AWS, Azure, Google or other cloud providers.